I’ve run into this issue recently where software updates don’t deploy successfully to client machines in Configuration Manager but everything on the surface appears to be functioning correctly. I did some digging and found in the WUAhandler.log file there were entries like this:
OnSearchComplete – Failed to end search job. Error = 0x80244022.
Scan failed with error = 0x80244022
This repeated every handful of minutes. There are a few different issues that are tied to this but the one that impacted my situation was the WSUSPool in the IIS Application Pools. In my case the WsusPool was in a stopped state. Restarting it allowed it to run for a few minutes then fail again.
- Launch the Internet Information Services (IIS) console.
- Expand the default server, select Application Pools.
- Select WsusPool.
- Select Advanced Settings from the Actions pane.
- Scroll down to the Recycling section and select Private Memory Limit (KB).
- Change the default 1843200 to 4000000. Click Ok.
- From an elevated command prompt cycle IIS: iisreset
- Launch the Configuration Manager console and navigate to Assets and Compliance and select a sample device.
- Initiate the Software Updates Deployment Evaluation from the client.
- View the WAUhandler.log file for updated activity and confirm the error messages have stopped.